Saturday, April 30, 2016

Photography Portfolio - "It's a Trap!"

Let me say that this is my favorite picture of this collection, partly because of the composition of this photo, and partly because I can relate to this on the most. The chains yet again aren't real. He is just imagining these chains that are holding him back, but they aren't actually there.


If we are honest with ourselves, we all have our chains that don't actually exist, but we still feel trapped by them. For me, I struggle with comparing myself to other people. There was a guy in my film class this semester who has experience working with cameras and editing. I have little to no experience of working with video cameras or editing. So for majority of the semester, I told myself that by comparison, I will never be as good as him. I trapped myself in this cycle of believing that I would never be as good no matter what I did.

It got so bad at one point, I totally skipped on taping a scene we needed because I didn't think I was qualified. After that night, I knew something had to change. I wanted to stop fighting against these chains that I use to bind myself.

So afterwards, I rewatched the video of Mark Hall's testimony. Mark Hall is the lead singer of the band Casting Crowns. He talked about how he struggled with comparing himself to his peers in college, and at one point he wanted to drop out of college because he wasn't good enough. The thing that stuck out to me is when Mark was talking about how if God wanted someone else to be where you are than he would have chose someone else. But God wanted me there and he had a reason for why I am here, and I need to trust him. It is like what is said in Jeremiah 29:11 which says, "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." God has a plan and a reason why I am here, and I may not be the best of what I am doing now, but with time and work, that could all change and I can see what God has in store for me.

The cool thing about this is that we go through similar struggles, and when we listen to people's stories, we can find where we connect with people and learn from people who already have gone through that struggle. We can relate to other people's stories and together these chains that we use to bind ourselves began to break apart. With an understanding of who God is and his love for us, these chains fall off, we are able to walk free.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your love, and your desire to break these chains that we use to hold ourselves back. I pray that  you place people in my life who can help me break these chains, and I pray that I can do the same for the people around me. Amen. 

Video for Mark Hall's Testimony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab8flhvMh58

No comments:

Post a Comment