Saturday, January 31, 2015

Song Break Down - Our Time Is Now pt1

The second song that I am going to look at from Colton Dixon is "Our Time is Now" which is off his second album, Anchor. This is a real upbeat song, and one that is fun to dance to. The song starts of with a focus on the how if we chase after the world that we will never be satisfied. "Are you tired of the life/ That leaves us begging for more?/ We got our heads in the clouds/ But our feet on the floor/ We tend to chase everything/ That ends up leaving us dry" You can tell that from the verse, that when we fall in love with the things of this world, that we actually end up filling empty inside, and there are verses in the bible that can back that up. 1 John 2:15-17 says, "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." It is the love of the God that will ever make us fell complete, but because we live in the world it is so easy to fall to the patterns of the world. Any desires that you have that aren't from God, but are from you, are from this world, and it says in the Bible that the world desires are only here to steal, kill, and destroy. (John 10:10) The thing is that the world is going to pass away, that one day there will be no earth, but God and his desires and his love last forever. 

From the verse we have a good lead in to the chorus, which goes, "So raise your first high/ This is the first night/ The beginning of forever/ So let the old die/ Cause there is new life/ Forever start tonight/ Our time is now." I find the chorus to be really empowering. The chorus reminds me of Romans 12:2 which says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the remaining of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing, and perfect will." The chorus talks about our new life that we have in Jesus Christ. Now for many of us who has believed in God for a while knows how easy it is for us to put God on our to-do list, and not take the time to really get to know him, and many of us fall into the desires of this world. We need our minds to be renewed everyday to remind us that God loves us, and that his mercies are new everyday, so that we will be able to do the will that he has for our life. It doesn't matter if this is you have just received Jesus, or if you have known him for years, we all can start from where we as RIGHT NOW and decide that we no longer want to live a passive life, that is controlled by the world, but a life that is on fire for God.


The second verse is the opposite of the first verse. The first verse talks about a life that is living in the world, where the second verse talks about a life that is lived in God. "It only takes one second/ To turn it around/ We got our minds made up/ Let's put our stake in the ground/ All the pain, all the shame/ Have you had enough of it?/ Are you ready for the change?"  The second verse is talking about taking a stand in God, and the change that it will bring. This reminded me of Psalms 18:2 which goes, "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." When we place our trust in God, and not of the things of the world, we then have a place to take refuge, who is going to be a shield for you, and who is your salvation. He is there for you. you no longer have to fell empty or incomplete, but you can feel God's love everyday. That is why I love the question at the end of the second verse. When you place your trust in God, your world will begin to change, not rapidly, but it will change for the better. You will see things in a new light, and though it won't take you struggles away, it will give you an immovable rock to lean on. 

Around this time I would finish my post and put a pray at the end, but I broke this into two parts because, I got some critique form my mom on Wednesday, that I want to address, and I want to change how I end my posts.  So part two is going to post right after this one, and I encourage you to read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment