Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Song Break Down- Dare to Believe



So I am starting another Song Break Down series. I'm going to do eight songs, one song per post, and all the songs will be from Colton Dixon. The first song that I'm going to break down is "Dare to Believe." This is one of the songs off his newest album, Anchor.


As I was reading the lyrics, I found something interesting in the verses.


The first verse goes "I was just a kid when I heard about the stories/ Of the prophets, teachers/ Priests, kings, and queens/ Of water turned to wine/ How You brought the dead to life/ They were more than words/ They were truth to me.
We get older, life gets harder/ We grow farther away/ And lose the faith we fought so hard to keep"


The second verse goes, "If you were just some carpenter from nowhere/ An ordinary man with ordinary news/ Then we would not be here/ Still claiming You all these years/ We believe the stories/ Because they're true
Some might call me crazy/ But I'm no fool"


Now the interesting thing that I found in the verses are use of the pronouns of "I" and "We." In the first verse, majority of it uses the "I" pronoun, with using "We" at the end. In the second verse, that is flipped. Majority of the verse talks with the pronoun "We" with "I" being used towards the end. I find the use of pronouns as a reflection of our personal relationship with God. If you grew up in a Christian home, we tend to have our own relationship, and we believe what the Bible tells us. The thing is that you grow older, and you find a group where you fit in and your faith might be challenged as collectively your group moves farther and farther away from God. I feel like many of us at some point in our lives move away from God, but yet we still go to church. It is just that you don't believe what is being taught. But while you are going to those group functions, something finally clicks and you have a renewed faith, and then you have a strong faith that you believe in. I see this as being a cycle, of you or I, and the We. If what I said confused you, I hope the diagram below helps.






Now that just talks about how you fit in to your relationship with God. But we are missing a part, and that is where God fits into this. Well the bridge of the song is dedicated just to God. The bridge goes, "You are the Son of God/You lived and died for us/You're here and You are still alive" In these three lines, you can find so much truth, and you can see the foundation of what faith is. 1 John 4:15 says, "If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God," which affirms the first line, "You are the Son of God" from the bridge. To affirm the second line look at John 11:25 which goes, "Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he dies, yet shall he live." For the last line of the bridge proof can be found in 1 Corinthians  15:20, which says, "But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep." God is alive, and he is with us, and he loves us. Just as the bridge brings the whole song together, God is the one in our lives that holds us together. God is in the middle of the circle for Matthew 6:33a says, "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness." This cycle is one that we will fall into during the course of our lives, but we needed to remember that you need to keep your eyes focused towards God. There are times when God might be blurry to us sometimes, but eventually he will come back into focus. This is easier to do some days than others, but God should come first no matter what stage in life, or in the cycle you are in. 



Colton Dixon "Dare To Believe" on youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment