Saturday, January 10, 2015

Being Strong in School

I have mentioned my IB Theory of Knowledge class before, and I truly enjoy the class. For this class we had to write a big paper, and we had to do an oral presentation. The paper we had to write is called The Title Paper, and we had to choose a title and write about it. The title I chose was about how shared knowledge can become personal. For the oral presentation we had to give a ten-minute presentation about a real life situation and bring in the terms that we use in class.

Now I know that you love to read all about my projects that I do in class, but I know that you are excited to learn how my projects have anything to do with God. Well as Christians we are tasked to spreading the news about God and who God is. What better way to do this then in the papers and presentations that we give. I go to a public school, so I know how scary it can be when it comes to sharing your faith in a class. The results that come out of sharing can be very rewarding though.

For the paper that I wrote, I looked at the song "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns (big shocker there). I wrote about how the song had a personal impact on Mark Hall from Casting Crowns, the victims of hurricane Katrina, and how I had made the song personal to me. I didn't share this paper with the whole class, but I did go over it with my teacher and we ended up having a conversation about Casting Crowns, and their music. I found it cool to just talk about a Christian artist with my teacher freely. It gave me insight that teachers do have lives outside of school, (believe it or not) and that you might actually be able to connect with them on a more personal level.

For my presentation, my real life example was the song "Things Are Looking Up" by R5 (Yes another shocker there) and how it is categorized as a secular song. My presentation was about taking this secular song and transporting it into a non-secular category. The first point that I made is the language that is used in the song, taking examples from my Song Break Down that I did on this song. I then talked about the perception that the world has on this song and the perception that I have of this song. At the end of my presentation, I got good feedback. The big shocker came a couple periods later. We were in history and the girl next to me just started talking about my presentation. What we talked about for a majority of the conversation was that secular love songs could be non-secular if you are using them to sing about your love for God. Then later that period, my friends and I were talking about the implications of my presentation. It was a natural conversation just based off a ten-minute presentation.

Now, I feel comfortable with sharing God through my schoolwork because I do it often, but you may not. If you struggle with this, or you are afraid of what your peers would think, just know that God is always with you. Deuteronomy 31:6 says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." God is with you when you share in class or you talk about Him with your friends. He is standing right beside you, so take comfort that you are not alone. I pray that you find encouragement in this post when you do your school assignments.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for being with us everywhere we go, and that we are never alone when we are sharing our faith. Help me to be strong to speak out for you during school, and thank you for the opportunities that you present me to share my faith. Amen.


If you want an idea of what the projects where like, here are the links to the post where I got the ideas from.

Title Paper
Praise You In This Storm
Dancing With Jesus

Oral
Things Are Looking Up pt1
Things Are Looking Up pt2

No comments:

Post a Comment