Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Finding Me-Hamlet

Now if you looked at the list that I laid out Sunday, Hamlet might be the most uninteresting work that I'm going to go over. I wouldn't discredit it yet, because there is actually a lot of amazing detail that was in Hamlet. One of the biggest aspect of Hamlet, was this idea of action verse thinking. Hamlet was a thinker, while his foil*, Laertes, was a man of action. Both of their fathers were murdered, and back in the 1600's it was honorable to kill the man who killed your father. (We no longer do that in modern society.) Laertes immediately went to go kill the man who killed his father, as soon as he found out about his death. Hamlet on the other hand was told to go avenge his fathers death, but instead of taking action, he thought about it. Out of these two characters, I am most like Hamlet. I may be told to do something, but I will probably do more thinking on the topic, then actually doing what I was told. This is a big problem when it comes to sharing the gospel because, I think about everything that could go right and wrong, and I eventually talk myself out of doing anything. At the end of Hamlet, four people died, and it was partly due to the fact that Hamlet was thinking about ways to avenge his fathers death, and he wasn't actually doing it. Don't get me wrong, thinking is needed, because Laertes was going to kill the king, not knowing that it was Hamlet who accidentally killed him. I need to find a balance, between action and thinking in my life, because right now I'm leaning a lot to the thinking side of life.

*Foil- A character who goes through the same events as the main character, but what he does as a result of the events, is different.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for giving me such a lovely mind that loves to think. I pray Lord that it wouldn't get in the way of taking action, and doing what you are telling me to do. Help me to use my ability to think be glorifying to you Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment