Monday, October 27, 2014

Finding Me- Austin and Ally

For the TV show that I will look at, I chose Austin and Ally. Besides the fact that it is my favorite TV show airing right now, I can really relate to the character of Ally Dawson.
One similarity between us, is that we both are smart. In the beginning of the series, Ally is talking about doing homework, or managing all her clubs, especially in the episode, "Kangaroos and Chaos." In my life, I am normally doing homework, or volunteering for a club I am in. As the series progresses, we see Ally become more balanced between her homework and her friends. In the episode, "Zaliens and Cloud Watchers" Austin tries to let Ally experience some of the things he liked, and she had a blast doing something out side of school. We do see Ally still help with the Glee Club and in the newspaper, but there is a balance between that and hanging out with her friends. This year is my senior year, and I am finally figuring out the balance, like Ally has between school, and your social life. I wasn't the person to go to the mall to go shopping, but I tried it with a close friend, and it was fun. Before Homecoming this year, a group of girls and my brother ate dinner together and then we went to the dance, and the whole night was a lot of fun. It is about just finding that balance between school, and social life.
Another thing that we have in common, is that we both have some sort of journal. Ally has her songbook, and I have a journal where I write down all my crazy ideas that I would like to accomplish someday. We both keep what is inside a secret until it is fully ready to be shared. Ally keeps her lyrics in there which then become songs for Austin. I write down my project ideas for digital arts, or some lines to a poem which then I work on to create a final project. It is our way to form our ideas, and shaping them until they become reality.
A similarity between us is that we both have a fear of "performing." While Ally Dawson has stage fright, I have a fear of performing in small groups or one on one. I love being on stage in front of a crowd, but when it comes to interviews, or speaking to a small group of people, I try to find a place to hide. Often in my school's bible study, we break into small groups and we ask questions about what we have learned. I know the answer to most of the questions, but I'm too scared to actually say it out loud. My reasoning, is that in a small group, you are so close to the other people, you can see there disapproving looks. On stage, you have the lights, and that makes it hard to see past the first row, so I can't see if any one is disapproving of what I'm doing and it doesn't effect me.
The big difference between Ally and I, is that she has overcame her fear. She is now singing on stage, and having a blast. I on the other hand am still afraid to talk one on one. I try and I practice, and while I have improved some, there is still along way to go. One of the big reasons that I believe that Ally overcame her stage fright, is that she had good friends by her side, and they encouraged her alone the way. I do have friends, but I don't necessarily communicate to them where my weakness are so they can encourage me. They can all see that I'm not social, but if I don't ask for help, or at least talk to them about it, then they can't help me. I can overcome my fear of talking to people, like Ally over came her stage fright, but I need the support group to help me.

To summarize what I talked about, I am working at being more balanced between school, and my social life. I make great use of a journal to write down my ideas to make them reality. I also see where I need to improve, and how my friends are there to help me along the way. I know that I'm not exactly all, because she is a made up character, but it was good to reflect on her strengths and weakness and see how my strengths and weakness compare, and how to improve on my weaknesses.

Dear Heavenly Father, 
Thank you for the TV series Austin and Ally. Thanks for the journal that I keep, because it really has helped me to keep track of my ideas, and keep track of the process to make them reality. Lord, I pray that you will help me to utilize the friends who you have put in my life, so that I can overcome my fear of talking to people. I can't thank you enough for this series. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment