Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Song Break Down-Praise You In This Storm

I'm starting a new series called "Song Break Down." What I'm going to be doing is taking Casting Crowns songs and breaking them down to get the meaning behind it. I chose Casting Crowns because they are my favorite band, and because they write down the bible verses that goes alone with each song, which I think is really cool. I am also going to try to include a visual representation, whether it is a video from YouTube, or a picture I drew.

So the first song I'm going to break down is "Praise You in This Storm." This song is one of my go to songs when ever I'm feeling down. It doesn't matter what kind of storm I'm going through, because Casting Crowns left it a little opened ended so you could make the song your own. If you listen to the reason to why Casting Crowns wrote the song, you can tell that even through Casting Crowns wrote the song is for a girl with cancer, the song is based on every case for everybody. It just goes to show that God can do wonderful things with things that you don't think He can use. Just that piece of behind the scene look into the reason why they wrote the song makes the song that much more special.

If you listen to the song, the first five lines really can strike a cord with anyone. We all have those days when nothing goes right, and in the back of our heads we think, "Why aren't you doing anything, Lord?" That is the basic of the first five lines of the song, "I was sure by now / God, You would have reached down /And wiped our tears away / Stepped in and saved the day / But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining."  There are many times where we would have liked God to have stepped in and make everything better but God does everything according to His time. Daniel 3:16-18 says, "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescues us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold that you have set up." Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were about to be thrown in to a burning furnace for praising their God of the gods of Nebuchadnezzar. They wouldn't denounce God just to get out of going into the furnace. God could have saved them before they went into the furnace, but God waited until they were in the burning furnace to save Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Now being saved from a burning furnace is more impressive then being saved from going in it. God had the right time when He would save Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, and they when along with God's plan know that they were being used for God's glory. God may not be asking you to walk into a burning furnace, but we each have our own fires in our lives. We have to go into them knowing that God is there and He has the right time when He will step in and save the day.

The second verse shows some hope, but not much, "I remember when / I stumbled in the wind / You heard my cry / You raised me up again / My strength is almost gone / How can I carry on / If I can't find You" It's that feeling you get when you remember a time when God did help you out of the storm, and you are sitting in this new storm and you wonder where is God now. 2 Corinthians says, "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." We may not be able to see what God is doing, but he is there and he loves us. If you set our eyes to the things of this world, we will continuously be let down over and over again. But if we set our eyes on what we can't see, which is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, we will have eternal glory which out weighs any thing on this world.

The pre-chorus and chorus of the song is the hard part of the song, "As the thunder rolls / I barely hear You whisper through the rain / "I'm with You" / And as Your mercy falls / I raise my hands and praise the God who gives / And takes away / I'll praise You in this storm / And I will lift my hands / For You are who You are / No matter where I am / Every tear I've cried / You hold in Your hand / You never left my side / And though my heart is torn / I will praise You in this storm" It is where you sing that you will rise your hands, but sometimes life is to hard for you to do that. Some times we don't want to praise God because of the storm we are in. But the line that sticks out to me is "You never left my side." Sure I may be going through a storm, but God never left my side. A person that I look to in the Bible that went through a lot is Job. Job was tested in everyway possible, yet Job never stopped trusting or praising the Lord. Job 1:20-22 says, "At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: 'Naked I came from my mothers womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away; may the name of the Lord be praised.' In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing." Job could have easily called God out for letting him go through what he was going through, but instead Job got down on his knees and worshipped the Lord. Job knew that God was in control of his life and he trusted God. And just like Job, God is in control of your life. There is nothing that God can't handle in your life.

Out of the whole song, my favorite part by far is the bridge which brings so much hope, "I lift my eyes unto the hills / Where does my help come from? / My help comes from the Lord / The Maker of Heaven and Earth" I know that my help does come from the Lord. The one who made the Heavens and the Earth, is with me in the storm and He will help me. It may not always seem like it, but God will help you if you just turn your eyes to Him and not your own understanding. I love the bridge because it also comes straight out of the Bible. In my Bible, Psalms 121:1-2 says "I'll lift up my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth." When singing this, we aren't singing words, but we are singing words that are in God's book, and God is pleased when you say or sing what He wrote back to Him.

I hope that you will think of this the next time you are in a storm. And know, God is always with you.

Reason For The Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnF7FjZ5po
Live Version of This Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ype1xE0wzsg

No comments:

Post a Comment