Saturday, November 9, 2013

Finding God-Music

So in my post on Wednesday, I talked about finding God in the things we watch everyday. So as you can assume from the tittle of this post, I'm going to write about finding God in the music we listen to. While listening to Christian music is a great thing to do, it is really hard to just listen to Christian music. There are songs out there that aren't Christian songs, but they don't have a curse word every line they sing. So how can you find God in the songs we listen to.
So one of my favorite non-Christian song is "As Long As You Love Me" by Justin Bieber, and I love that song for many reasons. One reason is that I really love the chorus. It goes "As long as you love me, we could be starving, we can be homeless, we can be broke. As long as you love me I'll be your platinum, I'll be your silver, I'll be your gold." Now if I have learned anything about song writing from Casting Crowns, it is that your can change the pronouns to get a whole new meaning. So in the first line, if we change "We" to "I" you get, "As long as you love me, I could be staving, I could be homeless, I can be broke." Now some would ask, "How does that relate back to God?"  I say that it can. When we have God in our lives, the material things start to fade away, to the point that we could be homeless and have enough trust in God that he will provide what we need to survive. Another thing I have learned from Casting Crowns is that you can flip two words to get a new meaning. So the second line would go, "As long as I love you, you'll be my platinum, you'll be my silver, you'll be my gold." Proverbs 8:19 says, "My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold, and my yield than choice silver" What God produces in us is better then any amount of silver or gold. So instead of looking material gold, we look for the gold of God which is all that is needed to survive.
Another reason I like "As Long As You Love Me," is because of the line, "7 billion people in this world trying to fit in." Isaiah 43:1 says, "But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.'" There are over 7 billion people in this world and God knows your name personally, and you are God's. I really can't think of anything better then that.
So as you listen to your music, keep God in mind, and think about how the lyrics can relate back to God. Not every single lyric you hear will be able to easily relate back to God, but you just need to find on lyric per song, because every time you hear that lyric, your mind will turn back to God. Every time I hear "As Long As You Love Me" and I hear the chorus of that one line, I think of God. So give it a try! Find a song that you love and see how you can get it to relate back to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment