Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Song Break Down-Things Are Looking Up-Part 2

If you haven’t read part one yet, I encourage you to do so before you read this one. For the second part of this song break down, I’m going to focus on the chorus. I find that my favorite part of the song is the chorus because it is so upbeat.

The first part of the chorus, or the pre-chorus, goes “I couldn't get it right/'Til you opened up my eyes/You turn my whole world upside down” When we were all still sinners, we saw the world one way. When we accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior, we saw things a whole different way. We saw how he loves us (1 John 4:16), how he has a plan for us (Jeremiah 29:11), how we are viewed in his eyes (Matthew 5:48), and how he saved us even when we were still sinners (Romans 5:8). He took the old way of knowing, and he flipped it on its head.

For the chorus of the song, I am going break it down out of order. When you listen to the chorus, there is a theme that runs throughout that talks about looking up. I find that it is talking about looking up into the stars. In Isaiah 40:26 it says, “
Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out like an army, one after another, calling each by its name. Because of his great power and incomparable strength, not a single one is missing.” When we look up, we are looking to God’s beauty that he created, and we are realizing how great our God is. He created all the stars in the sky, and he knows them all by name. When we look up, we all that God has done, and how he can do incredible things in your life. The verse from “Praise You in This Storm” talks about looking up through all that is going it. The verse is Psalms 121:1-2 and it says, “I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth.” We look up when we need help, and when we surrender to God.

Another thing that the chorus mentions is that you had enough looking at the ground. As humans, whenever we are ashamed, we tend to look down. When it comes to God, we mess up and we try to hide from God, but God still sees us. So instead of trying to hide our face by looking down, we should look up to the skies and just surrender it all to God. After this, read the chorus below, and connect what I just said to the words of the song.

Things are lookin' up/Things are lookin' up/I couldn't find a star in the sky/But now that I found us/Things are lookin' up/Even when I'm down/Had about enough/Lookin' at the ground/I couldn't find a star in the sky/But now that I found us/Things are lookin' up

I pray that you found this to be helpful.  We don’t need to separate what we can use to glorify God, based on what category the song falls into. This is just one example of how something secular can glorify God. I will post two or three more of examples, it might not be this long, but I pray that you read them all. I would love to hear your feedback on this, so please leave your
comments below.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for creating the Heavens and Earth. You are so great in all that you do, and your love is overwhelming. Thank you for forgiving our sins so that we may stand before you unashamed. We look up to you for your guidance and your love. Thank you so much for the music that we listen too. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment