Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Song Break Down-Things Are Lookin' Up Part One

In my Song Break Down Series, the first song that I’m going to break down is “Things Are Lookin’ Up” by R5. This one will look a little different from the others because I broke it into two parts. The second part will post at noon, because I just have so much to say. This song is off their new EP that they just released and I really enjoy it, and it was the one that really inspired me to do the song break down with secular songs.

The verses in the song are lines of comparison. The first line is “You were a business, I was a start up.” The verses are just praising how much better you are than I. Now think, if we put God in the place of the “you”, then aren’t we praising God about how much greater he is than us. Psalms 147:5 says, “How great is out Lord! His power is absolute! His understanding is beyond comprehension!” With the line that I used, you are saying that God already knows what to do, and you are just starting, and you need his help. Below are a few more examples on how to take these lines and focus them on God.

I needed caffeine, you were a Starbucks/A Starbucks/(A double-shot). Many of us tend to hit Starbucks before school or work to get energy we need that is found in a cup of coffee. God is like our spiritual Starbucks. 2 Corinthians 4:16 says, “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” Every morning when you wake up God is there waiting to hand you a boost of spiritual energy, you just need to take what God is offering, whether that be through prayer, reading your Bible, or just taking time every morning to worship God.

You were the sunshine, I was a rain check
We all have our bad days, and our really stormy ones, but God can be the light that breaks through the clouds.  John 1:5a says, “
The light shines in the darkness.” God is the light and no matter what you are going through he will be there to be a light of hope in your rain storm.

You were a free-way, I was a stop sign God wants us to trust him completely so that he can lay out his plan for our lives. But there are times were we put on the brakes because we think that we know better than God.  Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” If his plans are to give us a future and hope, then why do we keep stopping. We just need to trust God and just on God’s freeway and drive.

You were a diamond, I was a coal mine God is perfect and spotless, just like a shining diamond. Us in our sin, look more like a lump of coal. 1 Peter 2:22 says, “He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth.” Take heart in this though, while you were a lump of coal God is refining us every day. Psalms 66:10 says, “For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver.” God takes the love he has for us, to make us better, and less like a lump of coal.

Dear Heavenly Father,
You are so much greater than I am. You know more about me, and you know what my future holds. I pray that even through the secular music that we listen to, we may glorify you. You are so great and powerful and mind-blowing that there aren’t enough songs to sing of your love. Thank you so much for all that you do Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment