Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Song Break Down-Don't Forget Where You Belong

This is going to be my last week of this miniseries.  I know that it doesn’t cover every secular song, but I hope that I have provided you with some great examples, and the one today is no exception. Today’s song is “Don’t Forget Where You Belong” by One direction. I know this isn’t one of their megahits, but I love this song, from the lyrics to the music, and the tone of the song.

With this song, I want to start with the chorus, which goes, “Don't forget where you belong–home./Don't forget where you belong–home./If you ever feel alone–don't./You were never on your own./And the proof is in this song.” The key factor in glorifying God in this song is defining where home is. Normally when we think of home we think of where our family is. For us, our family is in God.  Galatians 3:26 says, “For in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.” When we believe in God, we all become sons and daughters in God’s family. Our home is in God, and our family is all other Christians . The second part of this chorus, is saying that you never be alone. Deuteronomy 31:8 says, “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” This song talks about traveling, but no matter where you go, you belong at home, and that you are never alone. Now the good news with God is that no matter where you travel he will always be with you. As Christians we don’t have a stationary building that we can call home, but wherever God is, then that is our home, and he is everywhere. So matter where you go, you are home, when you are with God.

When it comes to the first verse, the idea of just traveling, and the changes with that, still doesn’t affect where your home is. “Been a lot of places./I've been all around the world./Seen a lot of places./Never knowing where I was./On the horizon./Oh, well, I know, I know, I know, I know the sun will be rising/Back home./Living out of cases,/Packing up and taking off./Made a lot of changes/But not forgetting who I was./ On the horizon./Oh, well, I know, I know, I know, I know the moon will be rising/Back home.” Now most of us may not get the opportunity to tour the world, but most of us move, or go on vacation. For seniors, next year you are going to college, and for some of us we are going out of state which requires moving away from what you know.  For some of us, or parents may have moved you a lot when you were younger, and every time you moved, you had to change something, whether it was your friends, habits, or clothing. We all have to make these changes, but as I have mentioned before, God is still there with us, and we will always have a place to call home.

The bridge of this song I like a lot. Lights off when they should be on./Even stars in the skies, they're wrong.
/Short days when the nights are long/When I think of the things I've done/Don't matter how far I've gone–/I'm always feeling at home.” When I heard this, I had a though that we all walk away from God, from time to time. If you read in look 15 starting at verse 11, there is the parable of the lost son. For those who don’t know the story, it is about two sons, who asked for their father’s inheritance. One son took his part, and stayed with his father to work for him. The second son took his and he spent it and he eventually had to come back to his father poor, and asking for a job at his father’s place. His father, overjoyed to see his son threw him a party, for his son was lost, and he had been found. All of us at some point in our lives, walk away from god, and his house, thinking that we can do it alone. The thing is we can’t do it by our self, that is why Jesus was sent to earth, to save us when we could save ourselves. Just like the father in the story, he is overjoyed when you come back home. If you have strayed, come back home to God for he is waiting for you.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for sending you son to die for us, so that we may be apart in your family, and we will able to call you home. I pray for forgiveness for when we stray, and I pray that if anyone has strayed from you, that they will turn around and come running back. Thank you for always being with us, so that we may be with you where ever we may travel. Thank you for your never ending love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment