Saturday, August 6, 2016

Right Where I Need To Be- Part 2

So this summer I was volunteering at my old church production crew. In July, I got one Sunday off from working, so I went to the service of my church I go to while in Denver. That week they were preaching on Samson. The next week I was back  volunteering and the topic of the sermon was also on Samson. Within a week I heard two sermons on Samson.

The first sermon was about how Samson continually fell into lustful desires. These lustful thoughts led him to sleep with many woman who were intent to destroy his strength. We talked about how after one time of making that mistake that Samson would have learned his lesson. But he didn't. He kept sleeping with woman and walking on the edge of the line, until on night one of his mistresses cut off his hair, leaving him weak and defenseless.

The second sermon talked about how strong Samson actually was. He was able to defeat 100 men with the jawbone of a donkey. He ripped a lion apart with his bare hands. The pastor talked about how strong Samson was, and how the favor of God was on Samson, giving him the ability to do these amazing feats.

Now we listen to a story like this, and believe that it is just a story. Not many of us and tare a lion apart. We also may not struggle with lustful desires, so we sit there with the attitude that it doesn't matter to us. The thing is that while you may not fit that story in every detail, that story does apply to many of us. I know for me it does. One gift that God gave me is that I am a good listener and I have a big heart for people and their situations. I may not be defeat hundreds of people, but I am giving people a place to go to where they are broken, and they just need someone to vent to.

And just like Samson, I do have a sin in my life that I repeatedly do, and I never learn my lesson. For me, I lie to my parents when it comes to hanging out with guys. I either lie about who I am with or what I am doing. Last summer, I got busted about a lie that I told about who I was hanging out with. I felt so bad because I let them down and broke their trust. I thought I had learned my lesson, but than just yesterday, I lied to my mom about what movie me and a friend were going to see. Just like Samson, I kept participating in the same sin in my life, either though I should have learned my lesson.

I know God arranged my schedule because I did need to listen to those sermons. Now that I have realized I am like Samson, I can reflect on what I am doing, and what Samson did to grow closer to God. I know that I am not going to be perfect because there is sin, but I can now reflect on the root of my sin and why I do it. I can than work on changing my habits so that I sin less. I don't want my sin to destroy me, so I need to get it in check now. It is not going to be easy, but with God's help I can change it. I want to stop telling lies to my parents so they can trust me, because they deserve better than that, and I can use the gifts God gave me to their fullest potential.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I admit that I am broken and full of sins, yet I recognize that you have given me great gifts. Help me to turn away from my sinful desires and to your grace, so that I may be able to live the plan you have for me. Please forgive me for all the lies I have told and all the deceit I have caused. Lord help me to be truthful and honest, especially to my parents. 


No comments:

Post a Comment