Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Emptyness

I warned you last week that I wasn’t going to be doing a blog post on Wednesday. The reason for that because I was on a media fast for my Intro to Mass Communications class. The premise was that for three day, Tuesday through Thursday, we were to go without any forms of mass media. No TV, Internet, reading books for fun, social media, music, ect. My days were so packed with classes and homework, that I didn’t really miss it that much. I did however missed YouTube, and Thursday night, I waited until it was midnight, so that I could binge watch YouTube.
Now it is important to note what I was doing before the fast ended. The thing is that a couple of hours before the fast ended, I did two devotionals for my Bible Study for the next day, and I went to Praise and Worship. I was so filled with God, and so filled with his love. But as soon as it was Friday, I immediately replace being filled by God, to being filled by YouTube. YouTube cannot take the place of God. It left me filling empty, and I soon regretted staying up so late. Philippians 1:11 says, “Having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” Jesus died so that he could be with us in Spirit and fill us up with his love every day, and we turn that around to praise God for all he has done. That is what I did Thursday. I learned more about who God is, and grew closer to him. I then went to go and praise him for all he did. I was filled up with his love that YouTube can’t supply. I found the whole experience of being let down by YouTube as an opportunity to stop and reflect on what I am putting in the place of God, and it opened my eyes to others things that I may need to change in my life. So far, I haven't really watched YouTube, but I have been trying to focus more on God throughout the day.  

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your unfailing love. I know that I will chase things that won’t fill be up, but thank you for always being there when the things of this world leave me empty. I want to be filled by your love Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment