Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Song Break Down - You Are

Today I going to talk about one of the first songs that I heard of Colton Dixon's. I heard "You Are" on K-Love, and while I didn't immediately fall in love with the song, I did really enjoy the bridge. For those who don't know the bridge it goes, "If I had no voice, if I had no tongue/I would dance for You like the rising sun/And when that day comes and I see Your face/I will shout Your endless, glorious praise" I loved the bridge so much because it gets into the heart of worship. Worship is more than just singing in service once a week. Psalms 177:1-2 says, " Praise the Lord, all nations! Extol him, all peoples! For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord!" These verses talks about just praising the Lord for all He has done. It doesn't say that you have to sing, but you can dance, or get on your knees, or just stand in awe of who He is. The second part of the bridge talks about how joyous it will be when we do finally reach Heaven, with no more pain, or suffering, but just the glory of God remains. That is something that is to be worshipped, and not just a kind of worship that you do because you have to, but a kind of worship that is truly you connecting with God, and giving Him the glory. If you did watch Colton on American Idol, season 11, then you know that for one of his performances, he sang "Everything" by Lifehouse. If you saw that performance, then you saw how much the song meant to Colton, and how he wasn't singing to win, but he was singing to worship God.
In an interview after American Idol, he was describing what it was like to sing that song, and there is something that he said that I really connected with, which goes, "I (Colton) was in worship. I wasn't singing to them or anyone in the audience. It was total connection between me and God on stage, especially that last time I sang it. The world was completely shut off, and that's the way it is suppose to be." The last sentence is the one that sticks out to me the most. I find that often times in worship, we tend to get sidetracked easily. You worry about what the person sitting next you is doing, or what you need to do to fit in, or you're on your phone texting a friend. We are often doing anything but worship, but when you can connect with just God, it is something different. I don't know if you have experienced anything like that, but I encourage all of you to take a chance next time you worship, and forget about the world around you, and focus on God who He is, whether that is through singing, or dancing or falling to your knees.
I'm not going to go into much detail about the rest of the song, but if you listen to it, you can recognize a theme throughout. The song is just a worship song praising who God is. There is a video on Youtube where Colton is talking about the song, and he can explain it much better than I could, because he wrote the song. I pray that you will take a time to check out all the videos below, because they are so powerful in their message.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you so much for dying for me on the cross, and being everything that I am not. Thank you for always being there and never leaving me. Thank you for the grace and mercy that is new every day. Thank you for your love Lord, and I want to thank you for knowing your plan for my life, and for giving me what is the best for me at this moment in time. Thank you for the artists, and the songs that you allow them to write. Thank you for the worship band at my church. Thank you for knowing how I learn the best, and using that to help me grow in my faith. Thank you for all you have done, and being the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Amen.

Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment