Saturday, February 21, 2015

Song Break Down - Limitless - Too Shy

For me, one of my biggest limitation is being too shy. Growing up I was very outgoing, but then middle school happened and I cut everyone off, and I am petrified now to talk to anyone really that is outside of my super tight friend group. But as high school has gone on, I have tried to break out of my own little shy bubble, and talk to people. I don't mind performing or giving a class presentation, but when it comes to starting a conversation either with people I know and don't know, I clam up. At the Christian club at school, one of the things we focus on is spreading the Word of God. Now if you were to come up to me and ask me a question about my faith, I will more than gladly share my faith and who God is with. But when it comes to starting a conversation, it is difficult for me, and starting one about my faith mortifies me. I have tried to start a conversation with people who I don't know well about my faith, and they all end in train wreak. So one day, I was praying about this, and I asked God what can I do. He reveled to me that I should begin small and work from there. So for me, the first step would be going up to people, and asking them a simple question and having a small discussion. So I thought that since I love "Limitless", why not ask people what their own limitations are. So I wrote down a piece of paper six limitations, three from the actual song, "Limitless," and three that I created, and I asked people what their biggest limitation is from the list.
My goal for this was to ask 50 people their limitations, and I was going to do this during lunch a week before the Limitless post, which would be last week. That did not happen. I kept putting of asking people, and putting it off, because I was scared. I know that I am limitless, and I believe it, I was just scared to do it.  So Friday roles around, a day before I post about "Limitless," and I had only ask three people, one who was my brother and two close friends. I had an off period Friday, so I planned to have a date with God, and I was so prepared for that with my study Bible, and some study tools, and it would be an hour and a half with just God. Well, as I was planning for this, I thought why don't I do this in the cafeteria. The cafeteria will allow me to spread out, and I won't be tempted by computers, and just watching Youtube for the whole time. I debated where I would study the whole period before my off, and I didn't know why, but I wanted to go the cafeteria that day. Well, I get to the cafeteria and there are some people there hanging out or doing homework. So I chose my corner of the cafeteria, get out my bible and start reading. But I was so distracted, because I knew that I still have to ask people their limitations, otherwise I couldn't have anything to really write about. In my heart I felt God telling me to do it right then, but my brain was fighting it so hard, throwing every excuse at me. But finally I just got up without thinking and walked to a girl by herself, and in my softest voice asked her what her greatest limitation was from the list. After she answered, I went to the next table and so on, each time I asked gaining confidence in myself, and actually started conversing with some of the people. When I had asked everyone in the cafeteria at that time, I sat down and counted the tallies and I had asked and received answers from over 50 people. At that point all I could do was thank God because he had helped me do it, and it proved to me that Philippians 4:13 is true when it says, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." God called me to do it during my off period, and I listened to him and he gave me strength to go up and talk to people, and how I felt afterwards was incredible. I knew that God was there the whole time, and for the first time in a long time, I not only believed that I was limitless, but I actually acted on it, for my shyness isn't a limitation. Below are results of the answers to people's limitations, as well as somethings that I observed that were really cool.

Results:
Too Shy-18
Too Average-2
Not Enough Time-12
Not Enough Money-15
Too Young-2
Not Smart Enough-5

Observations:
-When I asked a small group, they would answer, but then they would talk about each other's answers. I remember that one guy said that he wasn't smart enough, and his friends at his table disagreed with him, and they told him how smart he was, and they encouraged him. I saw this on multiple occasions and I enjoyed that encouragement that was giving by friends.
-One girl looked at the list, and the first thing she said was "too shy," but then she said that she had overcome that limitation, so she said another one, and she was set afterwards on overcoming that limitation too.
-Too shy was on the first one on the list, and some people were too shy to their limitation out loud, they would just say the first one.
-Being too shy had the highest results, and it just shocked me to know that I am not the only shy one at my school, that there are other people who are also shy.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for always being with me. Please help me overcome the limitations in my way Lord. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment