Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Patience is a Virtue

Many of us growing up might have heard the phrase that patience is a virtue. Most of us have gone numb from hearing that verse so often. Patience I have found is something that we lose often and easily. You can't make a basket in the first shot, and you get impatient. Your grade doesn't change for weeks and you get impatient. You have to finish the long list of chores before you can have any fun, and you grow impatient. There is miscommunication between you and someone else, and you get impatient with them. On top of that, we show our impatience though a multitude of outlets. We get violent, or we gain an attitude, or we raise our voice, or we just tap our foot repeatedly. We lose our patience easily. God knows that we are quick to lose our patience. Some of us probably think that if God knows about our short patience, then why does he make us weight. When we want something, we want it now. not tomorrow, or next week, or next year, but now.
Believe it or not, but God has a plan for each one of us, and he has a reason for making us wait. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope.'" God has your best interests at heart, and he knows what he is doing. I was visiting a college last week, and for their chapel service, they had a pastor from a local church speak. He was sharing how in college, all his friends were getting married, and he didn't even have a date. He wanted to meet his wife right then, but if God would have gave into him, he would be in a world of hurt. At the time he prayed, his perspective wife was 15 and he was in his early 20's. That would have caused legal problems, that he didn't intend to have. He did marry her when she got older, and they are happy together, he just had to be patient and wait.
God doesn't want to hurt you, and he knows the implications of what could happen if he was to give you what you wanted right now. We think that God has a grandiose plan of why we have to wait, but it could be as simple as the fact that it is illegal on earth. He isn't out to throw you in prison, or get you killed, and he is looking out for you. He wants what is best for you, and what is best might require you to wait a little bit. Trust me, I have my own lists of things that I want God to do right now, but he is making me wait. It is difficult but know that you are not alone. Everyone is waiting for something, so get together so that you may encourage on another to be patient. The thing that we want will be much more rewarding when it is in God's will and in God's time, and not our own. We may never know all the motives of God, while we are on Earth, but we have to trust that he has our best interests in his heart.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for having a plan for my life, and keeping my best interests at heart.  Help me to have patience as I wait for you time, because I trust you and your reasons for making me wait. I will wait to see what your plan is for my life, and how you can take me and use me for the glory of your kingdom Lord. Thank you for caring about me so much Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment