Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Song Break Down-Who Am I

The song, "Who Am I'" is a song I recently rediscovered. I loved listening to it growing up, but until I started this series I just didn't listen to it. I was actually watching Casting Crowns videos on my off period when I heard the song again, and it instantly grabbed me again, and I was fascinated by it just like I was fascinated by it when I was a little girl.

One thing I really like about the song is the chorus. The first part of the chorus goes, "I am a flower quickly fading, / Here today and gone tomorrow. / A wave tossed in the ocean. / A vapor in the wind." I was at bible study on Monday at my school, and we went verse this verse that fits perfectly with this song. Ephesians 4:14 says, "Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming." When we first start out in our faith, we are like infants. We soak everything in but we don't know what to believe. We can't tell the difference of what the world wants verses what God wants. We are continuously tossed back and forth in these waves, or you are blown by every wind that heads your way. The deceitful scheming is done by the devil to throw you off track. There is one big thing that is cunning around this time of year, and it is Santa Clause. He isn't harmful on the outside but if we look closer he can be big trouble. Some off my friends grew up with out knowing who Santa was, and their parents had one reason. When the kids grow up and learn that there is no Santa, or Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy, that they are fake, then why would they believe that Jesus is real. So they grew up without Santa. What looks good on the outside, may not be as good as it seems.

 The second part of the chorus gives the hope that there is a way out. The second part goes, "Still You hear me when I'm calling. / Lord, You catch me when I'm falling. / And You've told me who I am. / I am Yours, I am Yours." Ephesians 2:13 says "But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ." This verse is saying that through Christ we have been made close to God. That is why the last line of the chorus says, "I am yours." because we are His. He loves us and cares for us and he won't let us fall.

The prechorus is another big part that sticks out to me. "Not because of who I am / But because of what You've done. / Not because of what I've done / But because of who You are." This is talking about how we didn't earn God's love but it is a gift. Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith --and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." This verse tells again how we didn't work for God's grace but it was giving to us as a gift. It was by Jesus's death on the cross that we are saved, and we are defined by His death.

The last part of the song that I like is how the verses are set up. The verses are just questions that we ask our selves everyday. "Who am I that God would do this for me?" And after each verse, there is the chorus that says, "I am yours," and it shows how God is doing this for us, because he chose us to be His. This layout of the song is powerful. Even though the questions aren't meant to be answered, we asked them everyday, and then Casting Crowns answer them in the chorus. If you every are in a place where you are asking yourself these questions, just know that you are God's.

I found this video on line and I just thought that it was well done. I pray that when you get the time you would watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT7x3VnrqbA&safe=active

No comments:

Post a Comment