Saturday, December 7, 2013

Song Break Down-My Own Worst Enemy

I like this song for many reasons. one is for the upbeat tempo, and a strong beat which is good for dancing. But I also really love the message of this song. It is a message that I think we all struggle with everyday. As it says in the song title, "I am my own worst enemy." I love the chorus of this song which goes, "God, help me get away / Break the chains and set me free / From the other side of me / I can’t fight this fight alone / I’ll never make it on my own / Lord Jesus, rescue me / From my own worst enemy." I like how Mark Hall, from Casting Crowns, sums this up. Mark said that the devil has little buttons in the back off your head, that he can push when ever he wants. I can attest to that theory that Mark talks about. There are times where I want to do something, but right before I do it, there is a voice in my head telling me other wise. That is what Mark it talking about in the song. The chains is that vice in your head telling you that you can't. I love this verse in Romans that is 7:18-19 which says, "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not for good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do -- this I keep doing." We were all born into a sin filled world, and with that sin we can't do the good that we want to do. The devil is in control of us and he doesn't want us to do good. You may want to do the right thing but the devil still has that button the back of your head that he can push when ever he wants. Verses 24-25 then say, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God -- through Jesus Christ our Lord." So we are messed up, and we can't make it on our own. That's when Jesus steps in and takes control. He is able to rescue you from yourself if you trust Him.
The bridge in the song goes. "Lord, help me feed the life I’m trying to live / And starve the life I’m trying to leave / Help me believe the old is dead and gone / And I am a new creation" Colossians 3 talks about what the old life and the new life is. Verse 5 says, "Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry." In contrast to that, verse 12 says, "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience" This is a guideline of how to lives our lives. Now we can't do this on our own, but with God's help we can.


This drawing I did represents the end of the song when you finally beat yourself  thanks to God who is always watching you.

This is Mark Hall's testimony that if you haven't heard, then you really need to find time to listen to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab8flhvMh58

No comments:

Post a Comment