Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Song Break Down-Stained Glass Maquerade

I have just recently discovered this song and I fell in love with it the minute I heard it, because I could relate so easily. As soon as I heard the first verse, I couldn't get the song out of my head. The first verse goes, "Is there anyone that fails / Is there anyone that falls / Am I the only one in church today feelin' so small / Cause when I take a look around / Everybody seems so strong / I know they'll soon discover / That I don't belong / So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay / If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too / So with a painted grin, I play the part again / So everyone will see me the way that I see them" Then I remembered Luke 6:37, which says, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." If we, me included, judge everyone else as being perfect, then they will judge you as being perfect. Or if you don't look perfect, then you will be judged as not good enough. It seems that we all try to look like our lives are put together and we don't need help, while on the inside we are breaking into a million pieces.
And this leads into the chorus of the song which says, "Are we happy plastic people / Under shiny plastic steeples / With walls around our weakness / And smiles to hide our pain / But if the invitation's open / To every heart that has been broken / Maybe then we close the curtain / On our stained glass masquerade." When we bury everything inside while on the outside we try to have it together, then who are we truly. When we act like this, we are like the Pharisees that Matthew talks about in the Matthew 23:25-28 which says, "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisees! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside will be clean. Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."We can clean the outside as much as we want, and we can try to be seen as having it all together, but the inside is a dirty mess. The verse says that we need to clean the inside and then the outside will end up matching. This might mean that for a while your outside will be a complete mess, and you won't fit in, but when you clean the inside, the outside will be that much brighter. I know that when I start to let the world see what a mess I am, I tend to find people going through the same thing. The other day at my school's bible study, we were talking about where we were before Christ, and how that has changed. I then found out that I wasn't the only girl there who felt that every year, students in her class didn't know my name. I found that God put people in your life for a reason, but we can't find those people if we don't open up.
My favorite part of the song is the second part of the second verse, which goes, "But would it set me free / If I dared to let you see / The truth behind the person / That you imagine me to be / Would your arms be open / Or would you walk away / Would the love of Jesus / Be enough to make you stay" I love this for many reasons. Many for the reason that it points. If I truly show you who I am, will you still love me or will you leave. But looking in John 8:10-11 I know that one person would leave me, "Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" No one, Sir," she said. Then neither do I condemn you, " Jesus declared. Go now and leave you life of sin."" This woman was supposed to be stoned to death when the city found out what she has done. But when God said that the one without sin may throw the first stone they all left. The world may try to condemn you when they find out all you have done in your past, but God won't. Jesus was the only one without sin, so he could have stoned her, but he chose not to. God knows everything that has happened in your past, but he sent his son to wash it away from you, and he will not condemn you.

 Here is a video I found on YouTube that goes really well with this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUJrjUGGfg&safe=active

No comments:

Post a Comment