Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Growth via Inspiration

Everyday we are learning something new, and we don't have to necessarily have to be in school. And everyday we have an opportunity to grow. To become a better writer, you practice writing. To become better at playing an instrument the you practice. But you can also become better by getting inspiration from others. We can learn what works and what doesn't works, and we can try to apply it to what we do. If it works, then it can give us more motivation to try and use the same method in what we are doing. If it doesn't work, then we can move on and try something else. and once we are done with what we are doing, we can compare ours, to the one we got our inspiration from, and see if you succeeded, or if you should try again.
My favorite band is Casting Crowns for many reasons. One of the big reasons is that they can write really meaningful songs. My favorite song is "Every Man" and one of the newer songs that I like is "City on the Hill." Now these to songs have different meanings, but they have the same style format. The last time that the chorus is played, they change a few words, and by doing this they gave the last chorus more meaning, and it brings the whole song together. In "Every Man", Casting Crowns changed two words in the last chorus. The last chorus went from "Is there" to "There is." This is significant to the song because the song goes from asking questions, to giving the answers to the questions. This helps translate the meaning of the song to the listener. There listener may be asking "Is there hope for me?" and the last chorus says "There is hope."
In the song "City on the Hill", Casting Crowns changed the pronoun, instead of flipping two words, but it brings the same value to the song. The song is formatted to be a story , about a city on the hill. So the first few times through the chorus, Casting Crowns use "They". In the last chorus,  Casting Crowns changed the pronoun to "We". This draws the listener in to the fact that the story isn't just a story, but it is our own lives.
I love to write poetry, and I'm always looking for different styles for my writing. So I took inspiration from these two Casting Crown's songs, and tried to write a poem. I soon found out that it is hard to write a poem so that at the end all you do is change a few words. But I did it, and through the process I became a better poet and writer. I know it isn't much, but I pray you enjoy the poem I wrote, and please leave comments on how well I did. And I also linked the two songs so you can hear the whole song. Please Enjoy.
"Every Man" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCx5t-GamwY>.
"City on the Hill" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7MC2wu49Cw

Seeing Me
I'm the girl in the corner,
With no one to talk to.
You have all you buddies,
And you act like you don't know me,
and I'm fading inside.

Can you see me?
A person to talk to
In this crowed room.
Can you be a gentleman?
Can you take an interest in me,
Cause I need some one.
Can you see me?

You look my way,
And I just smile.
You head my way,
And my knees go weak.
As you take my hand,
And lead me to the dance floor

You can see me
A person to talk to
In this crowed room.
You can be a gentleman.
You can take an interest in me,
Cause I need some one.
You can see me.

Source: 
"Every Man Lyrics." Youtube. AmyRosetheEchidna123, 8 Sept. 2008. Web.
Crowns, Casting. "Casting Crowns - City on the Hill (Animated)." YouTube. CastingCrowns, 11 Sept. 2012. Web

No comments:

Post a Comment