Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Practice

Most of us are familiar with the term, "Practice makes perfect."  To some extent, I believe this is true.  If you don't practice something, whether it be music, math, or a new language, you won't be able to grasp it and be successful in it.  I think that a better way to say it is, "Perfect practice makes perfect." In my own life, I have found it quite tedious to take the time and really practice something.  I just practice for a few minutes and then move on to the next thing.  Doing that doesn't really help improve my skills.  I find I'm only doing it to say I did it.

My favorite instrument to play is the violin because it is what I know the best.  When I'm practicing my violin, I try to practice the right notes and rhythms.  Obviously, if I'm practicing the wrong notes or rhythms, I will not be able to make the music sound right.  I also believe that repetition is key to practicing most things.  Practicing something once will never result in perfect.  I remember when I was auditioning for chairs in the Colorado Youth Symphony Orchestra and I practiced the music only once or twice.  When I got to the audition, I totally freaked out because everyone knew their music and I really didn't.  Afterwards, I auditioned and I was so disappointed with myself.  I got placed in the second violins instead of the first like I'd hoped.  After I practiced the music the way I should have, I knew that I could have been in first violins.  Because of this situation, I learned that no matter how tedious practice is, it will pay off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment