Saturday, December 8, 2012

Music

Music is very influential in our society today.  There are many genres of music, from classical to R&B and hip-hop.  The type of music you listen to can affect your behaviors and life.  Are you making the right choices when it comes to what music you listen to?  Do you listen to music that is positive, or do you listen to music that promotes drugs, sex, and bad language?  These messages, good or bad, can come from almost any style of music.  Just because you may listen to rap doesn't mean that the lyrics are bad.  It is just a different style of music.  But you need to pay attention to the lyrics used.  What about the music videos you watch?  Do they promote bad things?  The lyrics may be clean, but is the music video clean to match the lyrics?  Visual images also affect our behaviors, beliefs and attitudes.  I have had to evaluate what music I am listening to and see if it is appropriate or not.  Mostly I listen to Christian music (Casting Crowns, Steven Curtis Chapman), Disney Channel Stars (Jonas Brothers, Selena Gomez), and Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift.  They have good, meaningful lyrics.  Despite this, some of them have a strong beat which is fun to dance to.
In addition to what you watch or listen to at home with music you own, a contributor to all this comes from the radio stations we listen to in the car or at home.  If you listen to a radio station that plays music that have bad lyrics and meaning, you are more likely to want to purchase songs of the same type.  The main radio station I listen to is K-Love.  They play uplifting music, have funny DJ's, and have insight about what the artists are writing about.  I know pretty much every song that they play and when I'm down, I know that they will lift my spirits.  So I suggest that you should find a station that you love to listen to but that also promotes good behavior rather than bad in the type of messages the music can expresses.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! We must closely monitor what goes into our minds and hearts. Yay for a great post!
    Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love music!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete