Saturday, November 5, 2016

Lesson From Girl Meets World

So I don't usually post two on Saturday, but I feel like this was a special case, and it couldn't wait till Wednesday. So Friday, the new Girl Meets World was released, and one part of the show that I like is that in some way or another I can relate with at least one of the characters. This week though hit close to home, and I wanted to talk about it.

This week the plot of the show was the conflict between Riley and her mom. Riley believed that she was old enough to make her choices and do what was important to her, even though it wasn't as important to her mom. She defied her mom's orders and after a while of arguing, Riley moved in to be with her best friend, Maya.

The basis of this disagreement is that the teenager thinks that they can make their own decisions, but they go against what their parents want. The teen feels entitled to be in charge of their own life because they are a good person and they can have made good decisions in the past, just like how their parents raised them. Then they think that it's not fair that they don't get to do what they want to do, forgetting all the wonderful things their parents did, like pay for the house, food, clothes, etc. The said teenager thinks they can do it on their own. Both teen and parent are hurt because of what happened because the teenager doesn't know that they are the world to their mom. They realized they need each other, and they go back and mend the relationship.

This is a cycle that happens over and over again in our lives and watching that episode put it into perspective how much I hurt my mom when we argue, and I feel like I am entitled, so much so that it felt like I was looking into a mirror. I don't care who you are; we have all fought with our parents growing up. I know I have. It's not because I don't love her, it's just we have separate ideas on what is important. When I am in the battle, I can only see things my way. But looking at it from both angles, I do hurt my mom, when I don't mean too. I thought after I watched this episode, that if I were suppose to have a different mom, God would have given me someone different. But God didn't, and I am so lucky to have the mom he did give me.

Dear Mom,
Thank you for you love every day, even when I can be an entitled brat. I know that we may not agree on everything, for we are two different people, but I don't need to turn these disagreements into battles that harm you. I do love you. I am thankful for all the prayers you pray for me. I am thankful for the food I eat, for the clothes and shoes I wear. I am grateful for every time I get to see you. I am blessed to call you mom, for I have learned so much from you, about volunteering and going out there to get donations for fundraising events. I learned how to be independent. I know I don't say this enough, but I love you mom, and I couldn't have done any of this without you. 

Kaitlyn <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment