Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A Day of Rest

So this week at church, we were talking about the Sabbath and taking a full day to rest and connect with God. One of the Ten Commandments is to keep the Sabbath Holy. Exodus 20:8-10 says,
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.

Six days we are to work and rest on the seventh day. That is the pattern God set in place when he created the Heavens and the Earth because he understood how important it is to rest. It helps recharge your body and give the energy to face the new week.

Now in modern society, the Sabbath may not fall on Sunday. I work in a movie theater and our work weeks start on Friday. The weekend is also the busiest time of the week and we are expected to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I take time to go to church on the weekend, but I don't have that full day of rest.  But all I have to do is move that day of rest to a different day. My brother and I both don't work Thursday so we can rest, connect with family, and make time for God. I still follow the pattern of working six days and resting on the seventh, it just moved what day I rest. So if you have some sort of crazy schedule where you can't take a full day of rest on Sunday, find some other day of the week to take your day of rest. It is really worth it.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for making a day of rest for us. Help me to take full advantage of that day of rest. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment