Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Poem #2

The Day I Was Freed

My cell is located in the back left corner.
There are no bars,
The door is wide open,
Yet I can’t escape.

I am bound to these walls,
The walls knows all my failures,
They know all my sins,
And they use them to keep me here.

They remind me constantly,
Of how I am not worthy,
Of how no one could love me,
And they tighten the bonds to make sure I will never go free.

I hear footsteps down the hall, and they turn into my cell.
His face is warm and kind,
His hands are outstretched to me,
And he calls me by name.

He tells me about who he is, and who his father is.
He tells of his forgivenss,
He tells of how he can set me free.
But the walls remind me of how unworthy I am.

After all this time in the cell,
I want to be free,
I want to live my life,
So I trust this man at his word.
I trust his strength.
I ignore the whispers form the walls.
I find peace in this strangers embrace.
I forget the lies the walls have told me.
I receive his forgivness.
I forgive myself of my past sins.

He breaks my chains that bound me.
He helps me to my feet.
He guides me out of my cell.
And even though I want to go back to my comfort zone,
I keep my eyes trained on him,

And he frees me,
Gives me life to the full,
Pours his love out over me,

For the first time in my life,
I can say that I am truly free,
And I don’t want to find myself trapped

In that cell again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment