Saturday, September 5, 2015

What is Love? Story

This is the story part of this whole series. Sorry that it is long.


I worked at the movie theater near my house over the summer, and I became friends with one of my co-workers. We instantly bonded over courses that we took in high school, even though we were in different schools. From then on, we always talked while we cleaned the theaters, and he became a really close friend. We talked on all sorts of topics, and even though we may not have agreed on every subject, we were still able to hold an actually discussion. We would tell each other a lot about our lives, and I never felt like he was judging me once. It just that for the first time in a long time, I had someone to talk to who didn’t judge me, and he listened, and I felt like there are people out there who do care to know what I have to say. Don’t get me wrong, I had friends who I trusted and who I know are there for me, but it was the first time that I could just be myself, and I had the best time hanging around him.
There were, however; two big difference between us: religion and gender identity. He is an Atheist, and he identifies as trans-gender. Now I’m not one who discriminates on who my friends are, and we had great conversations on religion and identity. He knows I am a Christian, and he knows where I stand on many subjects. Normally, I would argue my points in conversations with non-believers, but he was different. I couldn’t get him out of my mind, and I one day prayed “Why did you put him in my life God?” I knew God had a purpose for this friendship, and I would soon figure out a part of the reason why.
The Sunday before we both left for college, it was his last day of work. If you know me personally, I love writing little notes when something ends, just saying thanks for going through this with me. So I wrote him a note, wishing him well in college. But I had a nagging feeling that I had to do more, and as I was praying to God about what I should do, I got this crazy idea. I remember in many of our conversations him talking about how much CU Boulder cost, plus the cost for the injections for the trans-gender. I knew he was hurting financially, and while I couldn’t pay for everything, I knew I could help. So I wrote a check for $250.00, and I put it in the note, and his last night of work, my family went to see a movie, and I snuck away at  the end, and I stuck the check and note in his hat and left. I actually didn’t expect to see him, and I gave him the money, knowing that he couldn’t pay me back.

The thing that I didn’t expect was how much that it meant to him, and how much it would affect me. All I did was show some gratitude for him, and helped him financially. But God knew how much it would mean to him, and how much the whole experience would mean to me too. I gave to him not expecting to be paid back, but I did away, like it talked about in Luke 6:34 about lending money. The thing is that he didn’t cash the check. He actually laminated it because the thought means so much more than the money. Then you have the story of the Good Samaritan, who went out of his way to help a man. I went out of my way to make sure I went to the movies that Sunday so I could give him the note, a few sentences that he valued very much. Lastly I talked about Philippians 2, and I put his interest before mine. I was more worried for his financial need than mine, because I know that God has me covered when it comes to paying for college. The thing is, this was one event of me reflecting God’s love, and I take none of the credit, because it was the Holy Spirit who moved me to do this, knowing what both he and I would get out of it. God’s love has a way of changing both people that are involved, and from my side it is incredible. I did something small, compared to what Jesus did, and if I feel good for loving on my friend, I can’t even imagine how God feels every minute of every day that he loves us. This whole summer spent with my friend was amazing and I wouldn’t have changed it for the world, for the growth in my self-esteem, but also through the Holy Spirit in becoming a little more like Jesus. 

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your love everyday. Your love is constant and always there for me. I pray that I will be able to reflect your love onto others. You always know what you are doing, and I trust you with what you have for my future. Thank you for the friends that you place in my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment