Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Thirty Sayings of the Wise: Further Sayings

For many of you who follow my blog, you know that I have been doing a mini series about the Thirty Sayings of the Wise. So far I have done saying numbers 8, 26, and 21. Those three are some of my favorite sayings in this section. I could do all the sayings, but that might get repetitive after awhile, but I encourage you on your own time to read all thirty.
Today I am wrapping up this mini series, but I’m stepping away from the thirty sayings to the section of further sayings of the wise. There is one verse that just sticks out to me, and I wanted to talk about it. The verse is Proverbs 24:26, and it goes, “An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips.” I love the simile that is used here. I know that most teenage girls dream about their first kiss, or any kiss to be honest. We want it to be perfect, and we can’t wait until it happens. Here the kiss that we all want is being compared to honesty. Honesty is just as good as every kiss that you may get.
Now some people out there might be skeptical, especially when the truth hurts. When you think about it though, wouldn’t you rather know the truth, then find out the lie from a friend that isn’t even involved in the situation. For example, if your boyfriend cheated on you, wouldn’t you like to find this information out from him, than from a friend who may be exaggerating a bit. You would rather find out from him, then your friend. Honesty may hurt sometimes, but it is better than the other options.
God wants us to be honest, with him, people, and ourselves. One of the Ten Commandments is not to lie. This is really important to God, and most of us have a bad habit of lying constantly. We now know that the truth is a big deal, but most of us can’t just start telling the truth. We first need to recognize that fact that we lie, and then slowly we can start to change our lying habit.  This will take some time, and you need God’s help, but it can be done. So take some time today to start changing your lying habit.


Dear Heavenly Father

I know that lying is like a second language to me. Thanks for you salvation and forgiveness of every lie that I tell. I need your help though so I can change this habit. I know that this is going to be long process, but I am willing to go through this to become more like you. I know that the truth is important, for honesty is like a kiss on the lips, and I know that it may hurt some people, but I want to start telling the truth more. Thanks for your forgiveness for every time I mess up. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment