Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Purpose of Sunday

Many of us know that Sunday is suppose to be a day to relax, and go to church and to connect with God. In today's society though, it is very difficult to actually have a day of rest. Many of us treat Sunday as just another day of the week. Sunday is so much more than just another day of the week.

Rest-Sunday is a day of rest. When God made the world, he did it in six days, and on the last day he rested. If God was able to take a break from creating the world, than we should be able to find time to rest on Sunday. Exodus 35:2 says, "Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death." Now this verse makes it clear that we are not to work on the Sabbath, and that includes homework. This verse also talks about how if we don't rest than we shall be put to death. now you aren't going to get killed if you don't rest on Sunday, otherwise we would all be dead. Just if you don't take time to rest than you can overwork yourself. I don't know if you have experienced this, but I find that if I am over worked, or stressed than I get myself sick. Sunday is suppose to be a day to rest so we don't work ourselves sick.

Holy- God also made Sunday a holy day. Exodus 31:13 says, "You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you." Sunday is a day that they Lord has made, so that we can remember all that he has done for us. In case you don't know, "sanctify" means to be free from sin. God wants us to remember how he freed us from sin, by sending his son down. We learn about God's love by going to church. We may read the Bible every day, but Sunday is the extended Bible study that we have, and we also have to worship the God who freed us. Another thing we do on Sunday is take communion, which symbolizes the death and resurrection of Jesus. Sunday is the only day where we do this, and it is to help us remember what God did to sanctify us. 

I know this is weird to be talking about Sunday, and it is only Wednesday, but I want you to have time during the week to get ready for Sunday. You can get your homework done ahead of time. Or you can move some things around in your schedule to make time for church on Sunday. Just remember Sunday is more than just another day.

Dear Heavenly Father,
You created this world and everything in it, but you also created Sunday, a day for us to rest and to come to you. I know that the world throws a lot at me, but help me to use Sunday as a time to rest and to connect with you. Thank you for giving us a time to rest from our stressful week, and I pray that you help me to use Sunday for what you intended it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment