Saturday, August 2, 2014

Too Much R & R

Rest and relaxation is a very good thing that most of us look forward to. We either look forward to laying our head on our pillow each night, or we look forward to that vacation that is coming up. But resting too much can become dangerous, and it can lead to laziness. God warns us about laziness over and over again in the bible. Two examples are Proverbs 10:4 which says, "Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands brings wealth. The second verse is Proverbs 12:11 which goes, "He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgment." Both these verses talk about how if you work hard, then you will prosper, and you will have what you need. But if you are lazy, then you will have very little and that can bring other consequences down the road. Don't get me wrong, God wants you to rest. God created the Sabbath so that we can rest. The trouble is when you start treating everyday as if it is the Sabbath, that is when you start to become lazy.
There are many ways to work hard, and not be lazy. My dad has an amazing engineering job that pays for food, and clothes, and for our house. He also works on projects around the house to keep it functional, and to make improvements. His hard work helps pay the bills, and it also keeps our house running smoothly. My mom on the other hand, doesn't have a typical job. She is a stay at home mom, but that doesn't mean she doesn't work hard. She is at home with my brother and I most of the time,(trust me, we can be a handful) and she cleans the house everyday, does the dishes, and does the laundry for us. She doesn't make any money, but that doesn't mean that she isn't working hard. Working hard doesn't always equate to having money. In Proverbs 10:4 where it says "wealth" it could mean money, but it could also mean love for the people around you, or wealth of knowledge that can help you survive. You can't have any of that wealth if you are lazy, and you expect everyone around you to do the work for you. My mom is just as hard a worker as my dad and I consider them to both be wealthy people. They each have their own job that God made for them. God has specific jobs for each of us, and we need to work hard at them. Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." When we put our heart into our work, and we work hard, then the rewards that you will receive will be matched to the work you put in. What ever your job is, work hard at it like you are working for God, and not for man.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for my specific job. Whatever you have in mind for me, I pray that I will work my hardest at. Help me to avoid becoming lazy, and making excuses for my lack of work. I know that I am working for you, Lord, and I pray that I will be able to do my best. Amen.

1 comment: