Saturday, August 23, 2014

Just Like a Cat

I don't know if you have a cat, but if you ever play with one they are just adorable. I have two cats, Oreo and Whiskers.
 Whiskers

Oreo

My favorite game to play with them, is where I hold something above them, just out of reach, and they try to grab it with their paws. Sometimes they get it, but most of the time they can't get it. When they get it, they don't feel satisfied and so they try again. I feel like we sometimes act like cats. We try our best to reach the things that the world offers, and sometimes we get it and we don't feel satisfied, sometimes we can't get it and we feel even worse. 1 John 2:16 says, "For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world." If you try to reach for that new car, or the hottest guy/girl in school, or for the popularity, you may not reach it, or even if you do reach it, you are never satisfied. Afterwards you want more and more and more, trying to feel satisfied, and you never feel satisfied. You are like one of my cats, just pawing at what ever I dangle above their head never feeling satisfied or not even reaching it. 
But, there is something that can be satisfied. 2 Corinthians 12:9 says, "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." God is enough for you. It made be hard to believe, but he can satisfy the emptiness in your heart. The void that you are trying to fill with worldly goods, can only be filled by God. His love, grace, and mercy is enough. You may end up having the nice car, or the good looking date, or what ever else you may want, but none of that is going to matter, if God isn't in your heart. Without God, we are just out there searching for something to fill the void to fill our hearts, never to be satisfied with what we find.  There is a simple truth, and it is that God is enough.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I know that you are enough for me. Help me to try not to fill my heart with worldly desires, and items, but help me to fill my heart up with you God. you are all I need, and anything else is a bonus to the incredible life that you have given me. Thanks for your unfailing love, mercy and grace. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment