Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Me That You Don't See

Growing up, we were told the story of the three little pigs. We all know that the strongest house was made out of bricks, and the wolf couldn’t blow the house down no matter how hard he tried. Those same brick walls are what we construct around topics that we don’t want to let go. We build walls up around things that we are to embarrassed to tell people, or we are to ashamed of to tell God. We build the walls so that they can be indestructible, and no one will be able to penetrate it.  The thing is, the walls are more like piles of bricks that we can’t crawl out of. The burden of these bricks can bring any one down into a slump. But when you tell people and lean on them for help, then the bricks slowly come of the pile and the burden gets lighter. Galatians 6:2 says, "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." We are to love one another, and a way to love is to help someone with their burdens. But people can't help if you don't share your burdens.
I want to be an example for people so I’m slowly going to remove some bricks that I have placed on me. Most of these are for the people who go to my high school.
Secular Music-Everyone at school sees me as this innocent girl. The thing is I have an over active imagination. So when I hear a song, that might be a little provocative, I just imagine clearly what the lyrics are saying. I don’t believe that as a Christian that you can’t listen to secular music. You just have to be super cautious of what you are listening to. That is hard, especially in high school, when everyone wants to play their music, and some aren't the cleanest. I know that most people struggle with this at some point in their life. To help, Ecclesiastics 7:5 says, "It is better for a man to hear the rebuke of the wise than to hear the song of fools."
TV Shows-By the time you reach high school, everyone is watching the adult shows. The thing is most the shows that I watch are on Disney Channel. I tried to move on from Disney Channel in 9th grade, but that was the same year Austin and Ally came out. I tried so hard not to get interested, but when it premieres a day after my birthday, and when one of the main characters is really cute, and he is from Colorado, I couldn’t stop myself.  Now Austin and Ally is my favorite show, partly because I see myself in Ally. I don’t need to be watching those shows with bad language and inappropriate comments. Sure Disney Channel is a little young for me, and everyone in my classes comment on how bad Disney Channel is, but that just who I am.
Shyness-I don’t know why, but sixth grade I lost most of my trust for people, and I became really shy. Now I’m living with that, and trying to overcome it is so hard. I have to keep telling myself, that not everyone in the world is out to destroy me, and people care to hear what I have to say.  But I have been completely closed off for years, and sometimes my shyness came off as saying that I’m better than you. I’m trying to break out, but that is so hard to put yourself out there, when for years you didn't tell anyone, anything. That is partly why I wrote this post, to break down some of my walls.

Dear Heavenly Father,

                We all have things that we are hiding, either from you or from our peers. Please help us take down these walls that we have built brick by brick. You made us in your image, and we were not made to enclose ourselves in walls, but to live out your will fully. Lets us find strength to break down these walls. Amen

Note-I did change the secular music part, from what it originally was.

No comments:

Post a Comment