Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Worship

Worship is an important part of a relationship with God. It is expressing your gratitude for what the Lord has done for you.  So if worship is about expressing gratitude, then why do I go in to worship service and everyone is acting like a robot, with a monotone voice, and whispering to their neighbor instead of actually worshiping?

At last year's Christmas service, my family sat with my brother's friend's family. Then when we started worship, the band played one of my favorite songs, The Stand. I started singing from the top of my lungs and I got into the song. Then my mom leaned over and whispered, "Hey you are not suppose to be singing louder then the person singing on stage." At first I was taken aback because she was telling me to quiet down. I knew that something was wrong with that but I didn't know what, so I quieted down.

Within the first few months of the New Year, I found the answer of why holding back during worship was wrong. The story we were talking about was 2 Samuel 6: 17-22:

"They brought the ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the tent that David had pitched for it, and David sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings before the Lord. After he had finish sacrificing the burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord Almighty. Then he gave a loaf of bread, a cake of dates and a cake of raisins to each person in the whole crowd of Israelites, both men and women. And all the people went to their homes.
When David returned home to bless his household, Michal, daughter of Saul, came out to meet him and said 'How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any fellow vulgar would!'
David said to Michal 'It will be before the Lord, who chose me rather then your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord's people Israel--I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But those slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor."

The moral of the story, in my opinion, is no matter how stupid you look or what others think of you, it isn't as important as worshiping God. The king of Israel took off his king robe and danced in the streets before the Lord. He didn't care how he looked. Michal, on the other hand, was disgusted about how David was acting, and didn't care what the reason. I thought to myself, when you worship, are you David, becoming undignified before the Lord, or are you Michal, judging others for the way they look, missing the beauty of worship.

A song that really touches on this is Undignified by David Crowder Band. I find it to be a great worship song and I hope you will to. Please Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGq9pXieUI..

Sources:
 "David Crowder Band - Undignified." Youtube. Keith Wilson, 4 Feb. 2011. Web.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGq9pXieUI
True Images Bible. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment