Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Captain America- Civil War

Recently I went with my brother and my dad to see Captain America: Civil War in theaters. It was a really good movie. One thing I noticed is that the two people who should be on the same side, Captain America and Iron Man, ended up fighting each other. They are the heroes and when heroes fight amongst each other, that leave no one to help the people. This fight divided the Avengers. I was reminded of the saying "United we stand. Divided we fall." When the Avengers were divided, they weren't as strong as they were together. 
How does this conflict with the Avengers reflect the body of Christ. 1 Corinthians 12:12-26 says, For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”  On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

I know that it is a long passage, but it is full of good stuff to contemplate and meditate on. If we are one body, then we need all parts to work smoothly. We need the eyes to do their job and cooperate with the hands and the feet. Every person has a specific job to do in the body, and it is important to find out what your role is. As a body unified under God, let's learn from the Avengers and not turn against each  other when we are suppose to be the light to the world. 

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you my individual gifts. Help me to use them to glorify you, and that I can use them to help out the body of Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment