Saturday, June 18, 2016

Spiritually Alive

I was listening to Casting Crowns Song "Spirit Wind." I haven't listened to it before, and when I heard it, I wanted to read the bible verses that were behind this song. When I looked it was the story of Ezekiel in a valley of dry bones. The first three verses in Ezekiel 37 goes,
"The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. He asked me, 'Son of man, can these bones live?' I said, 'Sovereign Lord, you alone know.'"
 Just stop and imagine for a second. You are led into a valley of dry bones, and God asked you if the bones could come back to life. To be honest, I would say no because these bones are bare bones lying in the middle of no where, how can they come back to life. But I like Ezekiel's answer when he says, "Sovereign Lord, you alone know." He wasn't going to rely on what he knew and the knowledge he had, but he was going to rely on God and what God could do. It would be cool if we could have the confidence of Ezekiel, to have the ability to know that only the Lord knows what is going to happen. We wouldn't have to live in fear or worry, because we know God has it.
The next three verses is God telling Ezekiel what to do, which goes,
"Then he said to me, 'Prophesy to these bones and say to them, 'Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! This is what the Sovereign Lord, says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath it you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.' '" 
It might have been weird at first just talking to a field full of dry bones, but Ezekiel did what he was told to do in the nest two verses which goes, "So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise,a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone by bone. I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them  and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them." That must have been a cool sight to see. Imagine you are out in the middle of no where, talking to dry bones, and all of a sudden they start to form bodies with tendons and flesh. That is truly something only God can do.
As the story continues, the next verses are about getting breath into the bodies.
"Then he said to me, 'Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord, says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.' ' So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet--a vast army." Now we have living, breathing people that came from a pile of bones in the middle of no where, and the bones turned into an army. This is amazing in itself, but what God says next truly amazes me. "Then he said to me: 'Son of man, these bones are the people of Israel. They say, 'Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off '" 
All of this that just happened was to show Ezekiel how Israel was. No they weren't a pile of bones, but spiritually, they were dead. They were living without hope. They were no better then zombies, because they were living but there was no emotion, or any hope, or joy. Verse 14a says, "I will put my Spirit in you and you will live."
Now this did happen a long time ago, but today there are still people who are spiritually dead. They are no better then a pile of bones. Our job is to speak life into them. We do this by sharing the gospel. When we share about the love that Jesus freely gives, then we give a chance for the Holy Spirit to enter, and make them Spiritually alive again. With the Spirit in them, we are able to create an army for the Lord. So who are you going to share the gospel with so that they too may be spiritually alive, and able to serve in God's army?

Dear Heavenly Father
Help me to wake up these dry bones in my body and to live and serve for you. I am tried of sleeping through life. Help me to live with purpose. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment