Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Where You Running?

My favorite character on Boy Meets World is Shawn Hunter, because in a weird way I can relate. Not because I was abandoned by my parents, or I was dirt poor, but because so often I wanted to run away. If you have even watched a little bit of Boy Meets World, you probably saw an episode where Shawn tried to run away. He never felt satisfied, or loved, or cared about where he was, even though he had Cory, and the Matthews, and Turner, and Feeny. Shawn even ran away during college, where he traveled for some time. But the thing is that he always came back home, because he never found what he was looking for when he ran away, and by running away it didn’t solve his problems.
Trust me, running away doesn’t solve anything. Ever since 6th grade, I had a folder and money stashed in my closet under my yearbooks, of a plan to run away. I thought about it so much, but I was to chicken to ever leave.  So I did the next best thing, I let my mind run free, while my body stayed at home. I would dream up all of my problems being solved. 
The thing is that when problems do arise, God doesn’t want us to run away from him, but he wants us to run to him. Psalms 31:1-5 says,
I run to you, God; I run for dear life.
    Don’t let me down!
    Take me seriously this time!
Get down on my level and listen,
    and please—no procrastination!
Your granite cave a hiding place,
    your high cliff aerie a place of safety.
You’re my cave to hide in,
    my cliff to climb.
Be my safe leader,
    be my true mountain guide.
Free me from hidden traps;
    I want to hide in you.
I’ve put my life in your hands.
    You won’t drop me,
    you’ll never let me down.
God wants us to run to him, so he can be your leader or guide. He wants you to run to him give us a place to hide, and he wants to free us from the traps that ensnare us. He won’t drop you. He won’t let you down. People and even you will continuously let yourself down, and there are times when we feel like we want to run and hide. But God doesn’t want us to hide from him. If we are running, we should be running to God. I know that I touched on calling out to God last week, but we have in our heads that God is distant, or he is too big, or that we are unworthy of God’s time. I want to make sure that you and I understand that God wants to love on you, and he does without you knowing or asking. But imagine what he can do if you give yourself over to God. Someone so strong that he can carry you through the valleys, and celebrate with you on your mountain tops. God wants us to run after him, not run away. He already knows all about you, but he is waiting for you to tell him, so that you are spending time with him. Stop where you are right now, and run to God, he is waiting.

Dear Heavenly Father,
I pray that as I walk through life, that I will run to you and not away. Thank you for always being there for me, allowing me a safe place through the storm. Lord, you are so much more powerful than anything I am going through, and I need you in my life. I love you so much God. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment