Saturday, November 10, 2012

Differences

If you were to look around, you would see that we are all different visually.  But what about the differences that aren't as obvious.  One difference that isn't as obvious, are learning disabilities. Sometimes it is hard to tell if someone has a learning disability.  Once we find out that someone does have one, how do we treat them?  I have a unique perspective on this because of my learning disability, so I can tell you how I have been treated.  I have a speech impediment.  I was in special education all through grade school and up until 8th grade.  I'm now in 10th grade, so this wasn't so long ago.  I would have to miss classes to go and practice my speech.  Even though I don't have to take those classes any more, I still get frustrated when people don't understand me.  If there is anything I learned from those classes, it was to slow down and find different ways to say something if someone is having difficulty understanding me.  But even with my best efforts, sometimes it is still hard.  When I try to slow down, people might make fun of me.  Sometimes they ask what I'm saying over and over again and just watch me try to get my point across.  Having this speech impediment can make me feel vulnerable.  I am also in Speech and Debate, and sometimes I wonder if part of why I got such a low score was because of my speech impediment, which feels so unfair.  I feel like the reason I didn't get the part in my school plays when I tried out was because of my impediment and not because I couldn't act.  In 6th grade, I got a 100% on my monologue because my teacher didn't take points from me because of my speech impediment.  To me, this means that I can act but my impediment holds me back.  So please, if you know anyone with a learning disability, be a friend to them, because they may have a hard time and feel self conscious about their learning disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment