Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Power of Greed

So over the past week, I have watched all of the Pirates of the Caribbean. Because I like to watch movies, people recommended that I view the Pirates of the Caribbean. For some reason, I had a hard time understanding what was going on, partly because I couldn’t keep track of who was betraying who. Through all the betrayal, I was able to understand one thing. Greed was often at the core of the deception. In “At World’s End” there is a conversation between Barbossa and Jack Sparrow as they stare at a dead Kraken, and it goes,

“Barbossa: The world used to be a bigger place.
Jack Sparrow: World’s still the same. There’s just less in it.”

I find this to be interesting. As the population is growing, there is less stuff for one person to own. For example, if there are 882 pieces of Aztec gold and a crew of 9, then each person gets 98 pieces to spend. If the crew grows to 14 people, then everyone gets 63 pieces. The problem of greed is that a crew of 14 still thinks that they should get 98 pieces. When it becomes unavailable to get all of what you want, then some people will stop at nothing to get it. They lie, cheat, steal, betray. Whatever it requires getting what you want. That is why in like five minutes, everyone betrayed everyone, leaving me confused about what is going on.
In a world of a growing population of people, greed becomes a bigger problem.  Luke 12:15 says, “Then he said to them, ‘Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.’” I like this verse because it talks about how our lives are so much more than the things we own. When we die, all the things on Earth will stay on Earth. There are other things we can be doing with our time than worrying and scheming on how we are going to get our hands on more of material wealth. We can be helping others, learning, and serving God. Greed can easily overtake a person and their life as shown in Pirates of the Caribbean. So like the verse says, be on guard. Greed is a nasty thing, and it can tear a person apart.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the materials that you have given me. Help me not to be greedy, but to be grateful for what I have. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment