Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Letting God In


It amazes me to see how God can work in the life of someone who lets Him. So on Monday I go to a leadership Bible study for the club at my school, First Priority. Every week at the end of the Bible study, we give our obedience’s of what we are going to work on during the week to grow in our relationship with God. If I am honest, I tend to forget what I said I would do when I walked out the door, because it just said something to get it over with. Well last week, I actually took my obedience seriously, and God showed me so much during that week.
To understand my obedience, you have to understand who I am, and who God made me to be. First, God made me a thinker. I love to sit and reflect on my own life, and think about why I do certain things. I also love to study books, TV shows, movies, you name it. I love to take what I just read or saw, and break it down to understand in detail, the characters, events and so on, and then make connections back to my own life. I love to do this, and it has become a hobby to me. I also find that I can connect best through music. There are times when I hear a song, that then would lead me on a tangent about the message of the song, and often times I discover something about myself. The thing is that God knows this about me, because he hardwired this into me, and he uses this information to connect and to revel Himself to me.
So my obedience last week, was to reflect on some of my fears, and to find a way to start to overcome it. So the fear that I was going to focus on was my fear of talking to people. I broke it down into what the fear was, where it came from, and how it affected my life today. I then found Bible verses about that specific fear, and then I reflected on how these Bible verses apply to my life. I then got off on a tangent, and I started to dive deep into Star Wars Rebels. I love that show and the whole Star Wars Universe. My favorite characters are Kanan Jarrus and Ezra Bridger, and so I went into detail of both characters, by studying their characteristics, history, and their role in the show. I then took this info and see how it connected to my life, and how it connected to the fear that I was writing about, and to fear in general. I spent time on this, and I wrote eight pages on this, all of it was colored coded, and everyone was impressed on what I did in a week.
But there is more to this. Sure it is great to reflect and write down on paper, but as it says in James 2:7 “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” Now that I had my research and I had it all nicely laid out, I had to act on it. Last week I had two job interviews for a summer job, to help pay for college. I was so fearful, but I thought of what I learned through my reflections, and I went in there trusting God. I was offered a place at both of those jobs, and the one that I did choose; I was working at in the same week. God was there through the whole process, and He never left my side, and I had nothing to be afraid of. Now sure, you can’t get over a fear in one week, and this will be an ongoing process, but I open myself up to God, and God showed me a lot about myself, and he is willing to do the same for you. God wants to have a relationship with you, and he is willing to meet with you. The thing is we so often think that we can do it ourselves and we leave God out of it. The thing is that God wants to be involved in every part of your life, you just need to surrender and let him in.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for loving me so much for loving me, even when a leave you out of my life. I know that you know so much more about me then I know about myself, and I pray that I will allow time in my life, so I can sit and listen to what you have to tell me. Thank you for all the love that you have given me. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment