Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Not Good Enough

One thing I know I did way to much last semester was compare myself to my other classmates. One in particular who I had in a group project was exceptionally skilled at using a camera. I immediately compared myself to him, and I came to the conclusion that I am never going to be as good as him. That was devastating, especially when I am learning what to do and I go in with a mentality of I can't do this. It was the feeling of I am not good enough.


Now over the course of a year, God really opened my eyes to something new. I admit that I am still not any where as good as him in taking video footage. His shots are always pristine and clear and well frame. They are gorgeous. But I am not called to be a videographer. I really do like editing, and I do it well. So it is not fair to myself to compare myself to a guy who can take good video because we aren't even in the same playing field.


Every time I come to this dilemma, I am reminded of the story in 1 Corinthians 12 about the different parts of the body.

"Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it."


This story is so similar to how video production goes. Every one on the team has a special job. You need a good videographer, because no one likes watching bad videos. You need a good editor, because without that, all you have are a bunch of random shots that don't appear like they go together. Both needs a certain set of skills, and comparing the two is unfair to both of them.


So I encourage you to take some time and think about who you are comparing yourself to. Think about how you two might very different jobs, like a foot and a hand or a videographer and an editor. God has a specific plan for all of us one that is unique to each one of us, and we are not to be comparing ourselves to someone who was made for a different purpose. You are made to be who you are and no one else. To God you are enough.


Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for creating me with a specific purpose and that to you, I am enough. Help me to not compare myself to anyone else for you have a different plan for each on of us. Thank you for making me good enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment