Saturday, June 2, 2018

Just Showing Up

One common theme I found found in today's age is that most people just don't show up. I have had countless experiences, whether it be at work or in my friend group, where people said that they would be there and then they don't show up, and they won't even leave a reason why.

Another way this is played out is when people are present, but they are on their electronic devices, not even paying attention to the people around them. Most people walk around on their phones not taking in the scenery as they walk by. We can easily tune people out and not listen to a word that they say and be completely fine with doing so.

Recently at work, I was cleaning theaters with a girl named Hailey. She loved to talk about everything Avengers and she would talk to anyone who listen.  However, most the other ushers were on their phones and wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying. When I showed up to work, I introduced myself, because we hadn't met yet, and she started talking and I listened. I didn't know much about the Avengers as she did and we did have varying opinions on who was the best, but I listened to her. At the end of the night, she came up and gave me a hug and thanked me for listening, and being present while she talked.

It is simple things like being present while someone talks that makes an impact on people's lives. I can name countless times where just the fact that a person showed up and payed attention to what I was saying was more important than anything they could have said. So I encourage you this week to show up and be present in everything that you do.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for always being there to listen to me. Help me to do the same for the people around me and to be present in my life. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment