Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Vine, the Gardener, the Branches- The Result


As I wrap up my mini series, I want to take a look at the end of "The Vine and the Branches" section, which goes, "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other. (John 15:13-17)" Now that is a lot to take in at one time, so lets break it down, going from the end to the beginning.


"This is my command: Love each other." Jesus made it really clear that we are to love the people that are around us. He loved us so much that we are to take the love that He gives and reflect it onto other people.



 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last." I love this statement because it shows how much God does love me. God's the gardener, and He chose me to be one of the branches that bear good fruit. And the fruit I bear will last forever. And He didn't just choose me, but He chose all of us who believe. We will all bear good fruit that lasts forever.



"So that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you." He wants you to know Him better and better, while having the ability to ask Him anything and knowing that He will respond. It may not be what you want to hear, but you know that your friend has your best interest in mind, and He won't give you anything less then you deserve. The Father will shape us so that I we will be able to bear as much fruit as possible.



"I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business." This is mind blowing to me because when I think of a servant, I think of one who does the household chores, and they don't interact with their master. To know that I am more then just a servant is a great feeling.



"Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. " When Jesus says that he calls us friends that opens the door to a world of possibilities. When Jesus calls us His friends that means that he wants a relationship with each one of us. He isn't too big that we should be intimidated to go to him. He wants to get to know us and have a close relationship with everyone of us.



"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command." To add to the greatness of the friendship Jesus wants with us, He also laid down His life for us. Not many of us would lay down our life for our friends if it came to it. But knowing that Jesus did die for us even though we didn't deserve it shows how much He loves us.



As I wrap up this mini series, I hope you see how loved you are, and how over time, God will shape you to bear good fruit for the entire world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment